The skin. The skin is largest organ in the human body.
Did you know that the skin releases over a third of toxins in the body!
Dry skin brushing is an effective daily practice to help the body detox and remove these harmful toxins, not to mention it opens and unclogs our pores.
When we dry skin brush, we are massaging and ciruculating our lymphatic system to help cleanse itself. We pull waste/toxins from tissues in the body and bring it to the liver to detoxifiy. At the same time, removing any lingering toxins from soap, environmental factors, lotions, deodorant, and other things to help improve skin health.
The GREAT thing is that skin brushing should only take about 5 minutes per day! It is easy to fit into a busy lifestyle and has fantastic benefits! Some of the benefits include:
- Lymphatic system stimulation
- Reduce or eliminate cellulite
- Unclog pores
Here are ten simple steps and tips for you to follow to help you get started with dry skin brushing:
1. Get a long-handled, non-synthetic bristle brush.
2. Remove your clothes and stand in the bathtub or on a tiled surface. You will want to do this because you are scraping off dead skin, so you don’t want that to get on your carpet or your rugs.
3. All of your brushing motions should be heart-centered, meaning you will want to have all the motions be moving towards your heart.
4. Start at your feet and use long flowing motions, again, towards your heart.
5. You will want to brush several times in the same area, overlapping your strokes as you continue.
6. For sensitive skin areas, you will want to go easy. Your skin in those areas should become less sensitive with time.
7. Once you have your whole body brushed, hop into the tub or shower. I find that the benefits of an Epsom salt bath are heightened after dry brushing.
8. Alternating cold and hot temperatures help bring the blood back to the top of the skin.
9. Continue this practice daily, but for best results, consider dry brushing twice a day; once in the morning and once before bed.
10. Remember to clean your brush at least once per week.
Do you want to learn more about detoxifying your body with whole foods?
My New Year’s Detox program is now open! Grab your spot in this season’s group to reboot, rebalance and revitalize in the New Year. It all begins on JANUARY 7TH!
Have you ever thought about working with a Nutritionist? Do you struggle with digestive gas and bloating, autoimmune conditions, chronic fatigue, cancer support and/or prevention, and food allergies or intolerances? Do you want to learn more about how foods can decrease inflammation and help you feel a million times better?
Schedule your FREE 30-min nutrition consultation today and see how I can help!
*Most insurance accepted. (Current patients of Flourish Natural Medicine only. Learn more about Flourish Natural Medicine.)